Saturday, April 18th, 2020
LeBauer Park, Downtown Greensboro
The Human Race is the nonprofit community’s 5k. Since 1994, The Volunteer Center has managed the race, and helped raise over 4.8 million dollars for hundreds of local nonprofits.
The logic behind The Human Race:
Fundraising events are expensive to produce. Upfront costs like venues, food, and rentals add up quickly, and indirect costs like staff time can zap a nonprofit’s budget.
The Volunteer Center handles all the event planning details: from venue rentals and permits to volunteers and day of logistics.
Nonprofits form teams and fund-raise for themselves. The Volunteer Center provides forms and procedures for cash and check donations, as well as an online fundraising website for credit and debit transactions. All donations go through The Volunteer Center.
The Volunteer Center also recruits company or community teams- these are companies or other groups that would like to fund-raise for another nonprofit. Examples include Bank of America or student groups. These teams choose a nonprofit to benefit- some choose one for the whole group or others let each individual team member choose.
The Volunteer Center retains a fee to help cover the costs of producing the event: a percentage of the total amount raised for each nonprofit. This fee is designed to be less than the cost of each nonprofit producing their own event.
Everyone comes together on race day. Between 3,000 and 5,000 people walk, run or roll the 5k course, then gather in the Special Events Center for an After Party with free food, music and fun for the whole family!
To register your NONPROFIT as a fundraising team:
- Click “Register” in the top menu bar
- Click “Create Nonprofit Team”
- If you have a username and password from last year, click the link at the top of the page and enter it- that way all your information from years past will be waiting for you!
- If you don’t have a username and password from last year, create a new one and enter your contact info. You will be the team captain.
- Enter your nonprofit’s name for “team name” to make it easy for people to find you! Upload a copy of your 501C3 letter and logo– you will not be able to complete nonprofit team registration without it.
DONE! You now have an individual fundraising page for yourself, and a team page for your nonprofit. Other Human Race participants can now choose to join your nonprofit team and fund raise for you! You will receive a welcome email with more info about posters, t shirts, cash/check donations and MORE!
In the mean time, you can check out all the great resources we have for you HERE. (The Nonprofit Coordinator’s Guide to Success if FULL of great info!)